Thursday, September 22, 2011

China bans dog-eating "carnival" after online uproar



The Chinese government has banned a traditional carnival in the east of the country in which dogs are eaten after being chopped up alive in the street following a public uproar that the festival was cruel, state media reported on Wednesday.

The tradition in Qianxi in the wealthy coastal province of Zhejiang dates back 600 years to celebrate a local military victory and is normally held every October, the official Xinhua news agency said.

"The ancient fair was replaced by a modern commodity fair in the 1980s, but dog-eating has been kept as a tradition," it reported.

"However, vendors began to butcher dogs in public a few years ago to show their dog meat is fresh and safe, as a way to ease buyers' worry that the meat may be refrigerator-preserved or even contaminated."

That is why I will never go to China, Viet Nam and neighbouring states. I will eat the occasional rib eye steak but I'm not chowing down on Lassie. And I'm not eating cats, rats, snakes, squirrels, or lizzards. I'd eat tofu before I eat roadkill and I hate tofu.

source

No comments:

Post a Comment